Saturday, January 13, 2007

I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR

It is a pretty good song by U-2, and we probably can all relate to it's lyrics in some way. And I also can believe that it is just another way of saying, "I haven't reached the apex or the vortex of maturity yet." Of course, there is no such thing. We never reach ultimate maturity... there is no such thing as being or reaching finality when it comes to maturity!

If I HAD found what I'm looking for, would I be rich, and live in the dream house I have always wanted? Probably not! And it is definitely good to have dreams and goals. And, say, go ahead.. drink another dram.

Everyone in the world is still looking for what they are looking for and what they WERE looking for. And not too many at all have really found it. Looking for it in pleasure-seeking will not get you there. Nor will seeking it within the perimeters of sorrow and pain.

Some christians say that in sorrow and trouble and the tests of life, we discover Christ and find out who God is. And often enough, that's true. But that is not the ultimate pinnacle in the quest for meaning. For, ultimately, that is not the rule of thumb. There is NO rule of thumb.

Whether in the quest for maturity or personal growth, the actual rule of thumb is to keep on going, and asking His guidance and searching for His face as you travel the roads and highways of life. In the high places, we find the "high" experiences. In the low places, we experience the lower experiences, the pain, sorrow or turmoil, trouble or grief. All this is part of the experience of finding what we have always been looking for.

We never ultimately find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

We never ultimately find ultimate happiness in a perfect mate.

We never ultimately find ultimate life experiences just because that's what we were trying to do.

So let yourself experience living. Allow yourself to grow. To mature. Gracefully.

Have some respect for yourself and for others. And don't go around hating people. Not for any reason.

Ultimately, we find that although "I still haven't found what I'm looking for", I have found more purpose and joy than I ever dreamed possible!

No comments: